A nonpartisan political money tracker has launched Voter's Edge California, a detailed voter guide profiling current state ballot measures and campaign contributions to Assembly members and Senators in the California State Legislature.
MapLight, the company that compiled the data, hopes the information will "allow users to gain insights into how campaign contributions affect policy so they can draw their own conclusions about how money influences our political system."
For instance, Prop 37, the GMO-related November 6 ballot measure that would require labeling of food sold to consumers made from plants or animals with genetic material changed in specified ways and has created quite a buzz in Marin in recent weeks, has some big spenders on both sides of the issue.
Taking a look at the Voter's Edge data on Prop 37, food and chemical industry giants like Monsanto ($7 million) and DuPont ($4.9 million) have raised $34.5 million to oppose the proposition. Pro-Prop. 37 funding, which totals $4.1 million has been led by Joseph Mercola, whose eponymous company includes an alternative medicine website.
Voter's Edge also offers endorsement information, links to editorials specific to certain propositions, news articles, advertisements created for and against certain measures and summary information that shows arguments written by the campaigns for and against each ballot measure.
A guide to using the new Voter's Edge service can be found here.
What follows are specific links to each of the ballot propositions as found on the MapLight website:
California Ballot Propositions on the November ballot :
- Prop. 30 - Taxes (Brown plan)
- Prop. 31 - State Budget
- Prop. 32 - Political Contributions
- Prop. 33 - Auto Insurance
- Prop. 34 - Death Penalty
- Prop. 35 - Human Trafficking
- Prop. 36 - Three Strikes Law
- Prop. 37 - Genetically Engineered Foods
- Prop. 38 - Taxes (Munger plan)
- Prop. 39 - Taxes for Multistate Businesses
- Prop. 40 - Redistricting
See what else is happening on San Rafael Patch:
- New Fourth Street Cafe to Be Artist and Art Lovers' Haunt
- Business Spotlight: Best Lil' Porkhouse
- Teen Shooting Victims Testify in Max Wade Preliminary Hearing
- Gas Prices Soaring — Find the Cheapest in San Rafael
- Mountain Lions Vs. Bobcats: Do You Know the Difference?