Novato police arrested a San Rafael man Tuesday in connection with a one-alarm fire at a Novato residence he owned where marijuana was growing, police said.
Novato police and firefighters responded to the blaze at 1813 Marion Ave. around 11:25 p.m. Monday.
The residence was unoccupied but contained a marijuana growing operation, police said.
Police contacted Rory Mark Ward, 58, during a traffic enforcement stop in San Rafael Tuesday, Novato police said. Police and the Marin County Major Crimes Task Force searched several locations related to Ward and arrested him on suspicion of cultivation of marijuana and theft of utility services, police said.
The cause of the fire and the marijuana growing operation violations are still under investigation, police said.
The fire began in the basement was controlled at 11:53 p.m., Novato Fire Protection District Battalion Chief Bill Tyler said.
The home's electrical system bypassed the PG&E meter and the fire appears to be electrical in nature, Tyler said.
Copyright © 2012 by Bay City News, Inc. -- Republication, Rebroadcast or any other Reuse without the express written consent of Bay City News, Inc. is prohibited.
Check out what else is on San Rafael Patch:
- How to Avoid Getting Your Bike Stolen
- Bret Harte Neighbor's Dog Helps Police Nab Car Prowlers
- Cafe del Soul to Open Second Location in San Rafael
- Baseball Bat Beating Lands Marin Man Behind Bars
- San Rafael High Schooler Receives ‘Overwhelming’ Response After Getting Bike Stolen
- San Rafael Police Lieutenant Cooks Dinner for the Homeless