Memorial Day weekend is coming and so are the DUI checkpoints and saturation patrols.
The enforcement blitz begins Friday night with a DUI and drivers license checkpoint in the city of Novato. Local DUI saturation patrols will be patrolling Marin streets throughout the weekend. The California Highway Patrol is deploying all available officers Memorial Day weekend onto freeways and county roads in their jurisdiction.
Since the Memorial Day weekend is coupled with many college and high school graduation celebrations, officers will be on look out for anyone who does not use a designated driver.
Law enforcement region-wide are asking for everyone’s support this holiday weekend and all summer:
- Arrange rides home for your friends, family, co-workers and yourself before the drinking begins
- Those hosting celebrations and servers must limit drinks to your guests or patrons. Don’t serve more than one or two over several hours.
- Identify and provide free non-alcoholic drinks to the Designated Driver
- Cut back on the amount of drinks you plan to bring to the party – and provide plenty of food.
- If you see dangerous driving, Report Drunk Drivers – Call 9-1-1!
Funding for the Avoid DUI Campaign is through a grant from the California Office of Traffic Safety, through the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. The Avoid Campaign will deploy checkpoints and DUI patrols again during the Independence Day holiday and for Labor Day.