San Rafael firefighters snuffed a kitchen fire in a Woodland Avenue apartment Friday morning that was sparked by unattended food in an oven, according to Fire Chief Chris Gray.
Just before 5:45 a.m., a resident reported, while coughing and choking, a structure fire at a four-unit apartment at12 Woodland Ave. When firefighters arrived, they found smoke billowing out of the apartment and several of the neighbors were attempting to tame the fire with water from a garden hose, Gray said.
Firefighters douse the flames, which started in the kitchen, in 10 minutes and prevented the fire from spreading into the one-bedroom apartment or the other surrounding units. The loss estimate is unknown as this time, as well as whether the smoke detector in the unit was working. Other apartment did not have a working detector, according to Gray.
The occupant who reported the incident was assisted by neighbors away from the scene and was found later in the area. Paramedics assisted the individual for any injuries.
“The fire is under investigation and appears to have been started by food cooking on the stove that was left unattended,” Gray said.
Firefighters urge everyone not leave cooking food unattended and to make sure they have working smoke and carbon monoxide detectors in their home.
See what else is happening in San Rafael:
- Agencies Investigate Death of Baby at Child Care Facility
- Upload Your Photos of the San Francisco Giants Parade
- Crime Map: Police Continue to Investigate 20 Burglaries in Glenwood Area