Firefighters doused a fire in a two-story, four-unit condominium Halloween evening. after a driver reported seeing smoke bellowing from the roof and chimney, according to San Rafael Fire Chief Chris Gray.
Around 9:20 p.m., firefighters arrived at 16 Picadilly Ct. and saw smoking and flames coming from the roof and chimney of the unit. They found evidence of a fire in the chimney. The blaze was extending into a large common attic that covered the four units, spreading around the chimney and flue above the occupied primary unit and into a vacant unit next door due to the common area.
“Residents were home at the time of the fire on Halloween and responded to a driver honking a horn outside who saw a fire building around the unit's chimney and roof area,” Gray said.
The homeowners attempted to extinguish the fire from the outside patio as it was spreading after they called 9-1-1. No one was harmed and the estimated cost is around $60,000, according to Gray.
The fire is under investigation and they suspect a failure of the fireplace flue was the cause.
See what else is happening in San Rafael:
- DUI Patrols on the Prowl for Halloween
- Upload Your Photos of the San Francisco Giants Parade
- Marin Giants Fans Pack onto Golden Gate Ferry for Parade