San Rafael firefighters are working to extinguish a "deep seated" fire that is burning under the Coleman pedestrian crossing, according to authorities.
The area was originally cordoned off with soil and timber. Firefighters are currently searching in the area to help with public safety. A CalTrans supervisor is will be assisting in extinguishing and removing the timber and soil, according to Battalion Chief Jeffrey Buscher.
As opposed to other fires, deep seated fires burn below the surface in duff, mulch, peat or other combustibles.
"Early indicators lead us to believe a person may be homesteading within the open area," Buscher said.
See what else is happening in San Rafael:
- New E-cigarette Store Faces Resistance from West End Business Owners
- UPDATED: 2 Injured in Shooting Outside Club 101
- Pier 1 Imports Celebrates Grand Opening Before Black Friday
- San Rafael’s Priciest Homes: 25 Harcourt Street
- Drivers Flee After Crash on 101