.

Firefighters Douse Cottage Fire Sparked by Unattended Candle

This is the second fire in the last 12 hours where the property did not have a working smoke detector.

San Rafael firefighters snuffed a structure fire on North San Pedro Road Saturday afternoon that was sparked by an unattended candle,  according to San Rafael Fire Chief Chris Gray.

Around 2 p.m., a neighbor saw smoke billowing from the roof of a small cottage on 560 North San Pedro Road. After calling 911, the neighbor attempted to suppress the flames until firefighters arrived and extinguished it.  The fire caused $10,000 worth of damage and no one was injured, according to Gray.

“Fortunately no one was home, but it appears that an unattended candle may have been the cause,” he said.

This is the second fire in the last 12 hours where the property did not have a working smoke detector. At 1 a.m., firefighters doused a structure fire at 17 Bret Ave. which displaced a 90-year-old resident.

“Please make sure you have working smoke and carbon monoxide detectors in your home,” Gray said. “They will help save your life and are required by law.”

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something