An SUV plowed into Lundy's Home Cooking today at 5:10 p.m., hitting and injuring a pedestrian on the sidewalk during the farmers market and trapping her under the vehicle, according to San Rafael Police.
Police responded to reports that a vehicle had slammed into a building at 5:07 p.m. They found the SUV partially inside Lundy's at 1143 Fourth Street, according to police spokeswoman Margo Rohrbacher.
Lundy's was closed at the time of the crash, but the SUV had struck a pedestrian as it drove onto the sidewalk.
The pedestrian, a 78-year-old woman, was trapped under the car and transported to Marin General Hospital after she was extricated.
The driver of the older model Chevy Blazer is a known vendor at the farmer's market that was happening on Fourth Street at the time, police said. Fourth Street was closed to traffic for the market.
The driver was uninjured and taken to the police station and is being interviewed this evening. The farmer's market is continuing this evening, but that block of Fourth Street has been closed for the investigation.
--Bay City News Service
See what else is happening in San Rafael:
- All Golden Gate Tolls to be Electronic Come December
- Decade-old Grudge Leads in Fight at Nickel Rose
- Should California Adopt Idaho’s “Stop as Yield” Bike Law?
- San Rafael Attorney Arrested on Child Cruelty Charges After Fleeing Police
- Council to Consider Prohibiting Take-out Containers