Strong winds, low humidy and warm temperates will increase the chance fires in San Rafael and throughout Marin, according according to a warning from the National Weather Service.
The Red Flag warning will be in effect from 6 p.m. until 8 a.m. Thursday It includes the North Bay Mountains, East Bay Hills and Diablo Range regions.
"The combination of poor relative humidity tonight and breezy offshore winds has the potential to create critical fire weather conditions ... especially at elevations above 1,000 feet," the warning says.
Local fire departments issued precautions that residents should take:
- Avoid the use of lawn mowers or weed eating equipment in dry vegetation.
- Avoid the use of all open flames including wood and charcoal grills.
- Make sure all cigarette butts are properly extinguished.
- Do not park vehicles in tall dry grass.
- Maintain 100 feet of defensible space around their home.
- Remove leaves and needles from gutters.
- Remove low hanging branches at least 10 feet off the ground.
- Make sure that your address numbers are clearly visible from the street.
See what else is happening in San Rafael:
- Kellogg's Frosted and Unfrosted Mini-Wheats Recalled for Metal Fragments
- Should E-cigarettes be Regulated in San Rafael?
- How to Watch the Orionids Meteor Shower 2012
- Indian Court Issues Arrest Warrant for Marinscope Newspapers Owner
- Police Investigate 15 Burglaries in Peacock Gap and Glenwood Neighborhoods