Our city's commerical vacany rate is currently between 8 percent and 10 percent. San Rafael Patch is featuring each week a vacant or abandoned building or lot and asking readers: "What do you wish was here?"
The idea was inspired by Candy Chang from New Orleans, who in 2010 created "I wish this was" stickers and placed thousands around the city for residents to fill in the blanks. Stickers can be bought online here.
Baubles and Beads used to occupy this Fourth Street location, right next to the Smith Rafael Film Center, until they relocated to Berkeley. Tell us in the comments what you think should take its place?
About this column: There are plenty of empty and abandoned buildings in San Rafael. What do you wish was there instead?
See what else is happening in San Rafael:
- Mountain Lions Vs. Bobcats: Do You Know the Difference?
- Sports Complex Critics and 10-Foot Clapper Rail Rally in Front of Library
- Council Approves Marin's Toughest Smoking Ban
- MVFF: Bradley Cooper Spills About 'Silver Linings Playbook' to a Packed Theater
- Now Hiring: City of San Rafael Has Job Openings