Our city's commerical vacany rate is currently between 8 percent and 10 percent. San Rafael Patch is featuring each week a vacant or abandoned building or lot and asking readers: "What do you wish was here?"
The idea was inspired by Candy Chang from New Orleans, who in 2010 created "I wish this was" stickers and placed thousands around the city for residents to fill in the blanks. Stickers can be bought online here.
This used to be a sporting goods store at 55 Bellam Blvd in Marin Square. What do you think should take its place?
About this column: There are plenty of empty and abandoned buildings in San Rafael. What do you wish was there instead?
See what else is happening in San Rafael:
- Girl Dies of Injuries After Being Struck by SUV
- Long-Gone Restaurants...Which Do You Still Miss?
- Car Accident on Highway 101 Slows Afternoon Traffic
- Novato Man Accused of Assaulting Girlfriend in San Rafael
- Boyfriend Suspected of Poisoning 63-year-old Girlfriend with Chlorinated Water