The average price of a gallon of self-serve regular gasoline in Marin is inching closer to $4, a price much of the rest of California is already paying.
The average price of regular gasoline in California jumped 22.8-cents in the past week to a statewide average of $3.904, according to the state Energy Almanac.
The Wall Street Journal reported the average price at the pump in the San Francisco area was $3.93 earlier this week, up 21 cents from late January. The price of a gallon of gas has already topped $4 in Southern California, averaging $4.03 on Tuesday, according to the AAA Fuel Gauge Report.
The spike in gas prices was traced back to the usual suspects: refinery problems, high crude prices and the costs of converting production lines to California's summer gas blend, the Mercury News reported.
In Marin County, the cheapest gas is at Mill Valley Gas & Mart ($3.79 on Friday afternoon). Most gas stations were still pricing fuel around $3.88 Friday afternoon, which is slightly below the state average, according to Gasbuddy.com.
Below are some of the best prices available in Marin for regular gasoline according to Gasbuddy.com.
- Mill Valley Gas & Mart, 630 E. Blithedale Ave., Mill Valley: $3.79
- Gas & Shop, 750 Sir Francis Drake Blvd., San Anselmo: $3.81
- 76, 930 Sir Francis Drake Blvd., San Anselmo: $3.83
- Arco, 789 Redwood Hwy., Mill Valley: $3.83
- Arco, 251 Redwood Hwy., Mill Valley: $3.83
- Marin Gas, 600 Magnolia Ave., Larkspur: $3.85
- Grand, 570 Redwood Hwy., Mill Valley: $3.85
- Gateway Gas & Shop, 1005 Northgate Dr., San Rafael: $3.85
- Chevron, 584 Redwood Hwy., Mill Valley: $3.86
- Circle K, 91 Francisco Blvd., E, San Rafael: $3.88
- Valero, 440 3rd St., San Rafael: $3.88