With sirens wailing, the thunder of motorcycles and a helicopter hovering above, there was nothing stealthy about the arrival of the Cost of Freedom Traveling Wall on Wednesday afternoon in downtown Sonoma.
This was a much-antipated visit by the mobile memorial to our military veterans, and a warm welcome was provided. The procession, featuring fire engines, a California Highway Patrol escort and large semi trailers carrying the travel-sized version of the Vietnam War Memorial, made its way up Broadway and eventually to the Veterans Memorial Building.
The visit is sponsored by the VFW Post in Sonoma. Events will continue through Nov. 11, which is Veterans Day. For more information, visit this recent Patch article.
Reminder: Veterans Day is always Nov. 11 in honor of the old Armistice Day, marking the end of World War I. But since Nov. 11 falls on a Sunday this year, Monday is the federal holiday.
For a roundup of local events marking Veterans Day, click here.
See what else is happening in San Rafael:
- San Rafael's Priciest Homes: 333 G Street
- Police Arrest Three Day Care Workers in Fatal Infant Asphyxiation
- Family of 6 Displaced by Canal Apartment Fire
- Sol Food Owner to Open Downtown Retail Store
- George Lucas Plans to Donate Disney Money to Foundation